Friday 9 May 2014

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Muscled Peat

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Laphroaig_Distillery_-_geograph.org.uk_-_108142.jpg

Long time since I added a review to this blog, but the last few weeks have been quite hectic. So I decided to repost a review I did for the Connosr website last week.
The matter at hand was a discussion about a certain whisky that I love, from a certain distillery that I adore.
We're talking about the Laphroaigh Quarter Cask of course.
Now the topic of discussion was has the quality declined ever since the revamped packaging has been introduced?
That being said, I do like the new sleek design better than the old one, something I can't say about the 10yo, where I believe the simplified illustration makes it look a bit cheap-ish. (just because I'm poor don't mean I can't be a snob).

Luckily I had just ordered a new bottle from the guys at drankdozijn.nl (amazing prices, excellent service, I can't express that enough), so it was time to put the hypothesis to the test.


The Whisky

http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/quarter-cask.aspx

A nice warm golden glow, bottled at 48%

Nose: A predominant salty nose, with hints of honey, brine and fresh oak from the cask. A whiff of peppermint, pine resin and vanilla sticks. With underlying smoky notes of medicinal peat. This is unmistakably the trademark nose of a good Laphroaig.
(note to self where do other reviews keep getting their fruity notes from?)
Mouth: Full bodied: Toffee with iodine and peat. But it's fairly short, not much I can actually describe here: there is little to no time to explore this second act, the curtains are only lifted for a quick glimpse before the grand finale rushes the stage.
Finish: A fists hits you right in the face: salty peaty waves come rolling in.Thick layers of smoke with thyme and vanilla. A long and lingering finish.

(Note: some whiskies blossom with a dash of water, this one doesn't. By adding water to the quarter cask it will feel like you broke this young stallion's spirit. The bottled product is exactly the way it should be.)


The Verdict 

By the odd chance that anyone from the Laphroaig distillery were ever to read this, please don't hate me.
But it does feel like it lost some of its steam over the years, the balance seem to have been a bit disrupted, and it feels like the finish is missing some of its former layers. 
But overall this is still a great whisky, many distilleries can only dream about producing such a class-act. 
Laphroaig is one of those distilleries, that knows how to capture the essence of the terroir in his malt.
To put it to the test  I offered a glass to my father, a whisky novice and even he immediately made the connection with a Lagavulin I offered him a few months ago.

SCORE: 88