Wednesday 30 July 2014

BenRiach: Heart of Speyside

Entry Level Dram


My Apologies

The author letting his inner child out in the Yorkshire Dales

Long time since I wrote a review, but since I'm currently making some space in my cabinet for a few new bottles, I might as well do a few reviews on older bottles in my possession. I had high hopes to find some interesting bottles whilst on vacation in Yorkshire, but I was deadly wrong. Thus until my trip to the Northern Highlands, Skye and Islay next month (yes I'm quite the busy bee), there won't be any new exciting whisky-reviews, only a well known classics that you'll find in the cabinets of whisky lover all around the world.

So for this is a review of an easy cheap NAS. Speysider, known as Heart of Speyside from the BenRiach distillery. It is the entry level dram from Flagship Range of the BenRiach distillery.


The Whisky

http://www.whisky.fr/benriach-heart-of-speyside.html

Colour: Straw gold
Nose: Fresh nose with soft elements of heather, grass and honey. soft undertones of salt and oak wood with a touch of spice. Very clean.
Mouth: fruity and farmy notes, soft and slightly buttery on the palate with once more hints of honey and heather. Tones of oak wood but not overly powerful and a whiff of pepper and soft smoke.
Finish: Stronger in the finish with powerful notes of pepper, sweetened up with a teaspoon of honey.


The Verdict

Harmless and overall pleasant, don't expect a complex majestic dram here for this price. Probably one of the better decent entry-level whiskies out there. well worth a try.



Score: 80